There are many different pathways into university.

Students who finished school this year or in the past couple of years can use their ATAR to get into university. If your ATAR is lower than you need for a particular course, universities may still be able to enrol you if you have been disadvantaged during your schooling.

If you aren’t a recent school leaver, universities can use previous qualifications, study, work experience or a portfolio to assess your eligibility for study. Or you can enrol in a preparation program or enabling course as a pathway into your degree.

Tertiary Admissions Centres
You can apply to university through your state or territory’s Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC). TACs process most applications from school leavers, but they cater to other applicants too.

Apply direct to university
It’s also possible to apply direct to a university, especially if you’re not a school leaver. The university you’re interested in will be able to tell you what your options are.

When can I apply?
You don’t have to wait until the start of the year to commence study. Universities also welcome students in the second semester. Some run trimesters, so there’s a third teaching period when you can start.

The sooner you apply the sooner you can start studying.

More information